Visit Coorg, India
Coorg (Kodagu) was a state in its own right until 1956. The market town of Madekeri is the capital of the region and is surrounded by picturesque hills filled with spice plantations and coffee estates.
The Huthri festival
The Huthri festival, held on a full moon night during November or December celebrates the season's harvests with ceremony, music and feasting.
This is a remote region and an ideal area for trekking through tropical forest and plantations, along riverbanks and beside paddy fields.
Fishing or golf
It is also possible to arrange fishing or a round of golf at the 18 hole par 70 course situated in the heart of the country’s coffee gardens. The course boasts challenging fairways reaching the tops of the hills and lush green lawns.
A number of Tibetan villages, initially settled by refugees in the 1960s, are scattered around Bylekuppe and the Buddhist Monastery of Sera Je, 3 miles (5 km) off the main highway is worth a visit.
The 'Scotland of India'
Dubbed the Scotland of India, the misty hills, lush forest, tea and coffee plantation, orange groves and breathtaking views make Madikeri an interesting addition for the adventurous traveler.
Map of Coorg
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Coorg
- Nagarhole National Park 61 kilometers away
- Neeleshwar 72 kilometers away
- Tellicherry 81 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 89 kilometers away
- Mysore 100 kilometers away
- Waynad 105 kilometers away
- Ooty 154 kilometers away
- Palakkad 210 kilometers away
- Bangalore 211 kilometers away
- Kothamangalam 281 kilometers away
- Cochin 283 kilometers away
- Gokarna 283 kilometers away
- Kerala 290 kilometers away
- Munnar 298 kilometers away
- Mararikulam 321 kilometers away
- Hospet 325 kilometers away
- The Backwaters 332 kilometers away
- Hampi 334 kilometers away
- Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary 365 kilometers away
- Trichy 370 kilometers away
- Madurai 382 kilometers away
- Goa 385 kilometers away
- Badami 389 kilometers away
- Tanjore 414 kilometers away
- Chettinad 423 kilometers away
- Kanchipuram 433 kilometers away
- Pondicherry 449 kilometers away
- Kovalam 468 kilometers away
- Tranquebar 475 kilometers away
Photos of Coorg
Accommodation choices for Coorg
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Coorg. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Taj Madikeri is nestled on the side of the rugged mountains 5000 feet above sea level, surrounded by the rainforest, streams, cardamom, pepper and coffee plantations of Coorg.
School Estate is a homestay run by Rani and KK Aiyapa. This estate bungalow is surrounded by flower-filled and manicured gardens situated amid 200 acres of coffee estate.