Thekkady is a popular resort and spice trading town next to Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary in the Cardamom Hills and provides convenient access to the park.
Early morning walks are recommended as the forest comes to life with the calls of birds and monkeys, while a boat trip on the lake is a great way to spot elephants, gaur and deer.
You may also stroll through one of the spice plantations, a highly educational and enjoyable experience seeing how crops such as pepper and nutmeg are grown and harvested.
Suggested itineraries featuring Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
India and MaldivesView this tour
IndiaView this tour
Map of Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Munnar 69 kilometers away
- Kerala 82 kilometers away
- Kothamangalam 91 kilometers away
- The Backwaters 94 kilometers away
- Mararikulam 102 kilometers away
- Madurai 110 kilometers away
- Cochin 117 kilometers away
- Kovalam 125 kilometers away
- Palakkad 156 kilometers away
- Chettinad 182 kilometers away
- Trichy 219 kilometers away
- Ooty 221 kilometers away
- Tanjore 256 kilometers away
- Wayanad 263 kilometers away
- Nagarhole National Park 308 kilometers away
- Tellicherry 314 kilometers away
- Mysore 320 kilometers away
- Tranquebar 336 kilometers away
- Coorg 365 kilometers away
- Neeleshwar 385 kilometers away
- Bangalore 390 kilometers away
- Pondicherry 395 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 436 kilometers away
- Kanchipuram 461 kilometers away
- Mahabalipuram 477 kilometers away
Photos of Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Accommodation choices for Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, and which use the best local guides.
Driving just a few kilometers from the village of Kumily, you will come to the spice plantations. Owned and cared for by the local villagers, the plots are generally around two acres.View details