Visit Madurai, India
Madurai is a temple town like no other, with the huge Meenakshi Temple being virtually a town in itself.
Built at the same time as the Taj Mahal, it is an outstanding example of south Indian Hindu architecture with nine towering gopurams smothered in a riot of colorful stucco images. This is an amazing place to absorb the atmosphere of Hinduism, with the dark pillared halls filled with thousands of pilgrims, bare-chested priests and the scent of flowers, coconut and ghee.
Elsewhere in the city the Gandhi Museum chronicles the life of the great Indian leader and exhibits the blood-stained dhoti the Mahatma was wearing when he was assassinated.
Suggested itineraries featuring Madurai
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Madurai, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Madurai
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Madurai
- Chettinad 74 kilometers away
- Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary 110 kilometers away
- Trichy 118 kilometers away
- Munnar 118 kilometers away
- Tanjore 148 kilometers away
- Kerala 159 kilometers away
- Kothamangalam 164 kilometers away
- Palakkad 188 kilometers away
- The Backwaters 198 kilometers away
- Mararikulam 203 kilometers away
- Cochin 205 kilometers away
- Kovalam 211 kilometers away
- Tranquebar 227 kilometers away
- Ooty 228 kilometers away
- Waynad 279 kilometers away
- Pondicherry 293 kilometers away
- Mysore 311 kilometers away
- Nagarhole National Park 322 kilometers away
- Bangalore 346 kilometers away
- Tellicherry 352 kilometers away
- Kanchipuram 368 kilometers away
- Mahabalipuram 377 kilometers away
- Coorg 382 kilometers away
- Neeleshwar 420 kilometers away
- Chennai 421 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 436 kilometers away
Photos of Madurai
Accommodation choices for Madurai
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Madurai. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The best option in the city, the Heritage Madurai offers a variety of rooms to suit most budgets and is in a good location to explore the delights of Madurai.