Visit Mysore, India
The former capital of the Wodeyar dynasty, Mysore has been home to one of the longest established empires in Indian history and the current Maharaja of Mysore still resides in the opulently-decorated city palace. Rebuilt in 1897 after a fire, it is an imposing centerpiece at the heart of the city, especially on Sundays and public holidays when it is lit by nearly 100,000 lightbulbs.
A trip to the outskirts of town reaches Chamundi Hill, where you’ll find one of India’s largest Nandi Bulls, the mythical transport for Lord Shiva with spectacular views over Mysore.
The pleasant climate and vibrant yet laid-back atmosphere make it an excellent base for visiting nearby Srirangapatnam and Ranganathittu as part of a tour of south India.
Suggested itinerary featuring Mysore
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Mysore, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Mysore
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mysore
- Nagarhole National Park 63 kilometers away
- Waynad 81 kilometers away
- Coorg 100 kilometers away
- Ooty 101 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 126 kilometers away
- Bangalore 128 kilometers away
- Tellicherry 141 kilometers away
- Neeleshwar 168 kilometers away
- Palakkad 171 kilometers away
- Kothamangalam 250 kilometers away
- Munnar 252 kilometers away
- Kerala 258 kilometers away
- Cochin 267 kilometers away
- Trichy 280 kilometers away
- Mararikulam 304 kilometers away
- Madurai 311 kilometers away
- The Backwaters 313 kilometers away
- Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary 320 kilometers away
- Tanjore 321 kilometers away
- Hospet 332 kilometers away
- Kanchipuram 337 kilometers away
- Hampi 338 kilometers away
- Chettinad 341 kilometers away
- Pondicherry 350 kilometers away
- Gokarna 356 kilometers away
- Tranquebar 378 kilometers away
- Mahabalipuram 388 kilometers away
- Chennai 401 kilometers away
- Badami 416 kilometers away
- Kovalam 436 kilometers away
- Goa 452 kilometers away
Photos of Mysore
Accommodation choices for Mysore
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Mysore. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Conveniently located for exploring the attractions of Mysore, including the city’s impressive palace, the Royal Orchid Metropole is a comfortable hotel with plenty of colonial charm.
Ideas for experiencing Mysore
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Mysore, and which use the best local guides.
One of the principal sights of Mysore is the City Palace, which is not only impressively large, but also a fantasy of eclectic styles.View details