Visit Pondicherry, India
In this French colonial town many of the streets still have their Gallic names and elegant European-style buildings, and the police retain white uniforms with gendarme caps.
In the former Muslim quarters, the architecture is not dissimilar to New Orleans pre-2005 with high pavements, covered walkways and narrow balconies.
Just outside the city is one of the most famous ashrams in India, Auroville. Founded by the guru Sri Aurobindo at the beginning of the 20th century, his work was continued by his devoted follower and companion, a French woman known as The Mother.
The ashram attracts visitors from all over the world, some who decide to stay and participate in the ecological and educational programs the center promotes. Visitors are welcome and every afternoon you may view the giant crystal said to contain the soul of The Mother.
A half-day drive to either Chennai or Tanjore will take in some spectacular Hindu temples.
Suggested itinerary featuring Pondicherry
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Pondicherry, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Pondicherry
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Pondicherry
- Mahabalipuram 86 kilometers away
- Tranquebar 101 kilometers away
- Kanchipuram 102 kilometers away
- Chennai 134 kilometers away
- Tanjore 149 kilometers away
- Trichy 177 kilometers away
- Chettinad 239 kilometers away
- Bangalore 270 kilometers away
- Madurai 293 kilometers away
- Ooty 348 kilometers away
- Mysore 350 kilometers away
- Munnar 367 kilometers away
- Palakkad 372 kilometers away
- Waynad 387 kilometers away
- Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary 395 kilometers away
- Nagarhole National Park 404 kilometers away
- Kothamangalam 408 kilometers away
- Kerala 408 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 446 kilometers away
- Coorg 449 kilometers away
- Cochin 450 kilometers away
- The Backwaters 466 kilometers away
- Mararikulam 466 kilometers away
- Tellicherry 474 kilometers away
Photos of Pondicherry
Accommodation choices for Pondicherry
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Pondicherry. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Maison Perumal is a lovingly converted, traditional courtyard home which maintains the character of the original building.