Visit the East Coast, Malaysia
This stunning coastline reveals a less-visited and more traditional side to the country.
In the far north, Kota Bharu is one of our favorite cities in Malaysia, with its vibrant night market, friendly Malay people and handicraft village. From here it is a short boat ride to the idyllic Perhentian Islands.
Villages and beaches
Returning to the mainland, the coast road passes south through unspoilt kampung and traditional Malay fishing villages, soon reaching Kuala Dungun, which has one of the east coast’s best beaches and easy access to a nearby airport. The golden sands stretch as far as the eye can see and, in season, giant leatherback turtles come ashore to lay their eggs.
Your coastal journey continues to the modern city of Kuantan, home to the magnificent Masjid Negeri, one of Malaysia’s most impressive and atmospheric modern mosques. Kuantan has a pleasant beach on its outskirts and the limestone cave temple at Gua Charas is worth the short trip out of town.
Heading further south you reach the small town of Mersing, where boats leave for the splendid tropical island of Tioman.
Map of the East Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the East Coast
- Taman Negara National Park 133 kilometers away
- Tioman Island 147 kilometers away
- Kuala Terengganu 170 kilometers away
- Fraser's Hill (Bukit Fraser) 177 kilometers away
- Kuala Lumpur 195 kilometers away
- Malacca 216 kilometers away
- Redang Island 223 kilometers away
- Cameron Highlands 230 kilometers away
- Perhentian Islands 245 kilometers away
- Belum Rainforest 298 kilometers away
- Pangkor Islands 313 kilometers away
- Penang 379 kilometers away