Visit the Draa Valley, Morocco
Heading south-east from Ouarzazate, you cross the Jebel Sarhro massif, twisted and eroded into weird onion-dome shapes, into the Draa Valley, a wider, less rugged river course.
The broad gravel plains of the river bed are planted with palms stretching as far as the eye can see, protected by a network of pisé walls and kasbahs now gracefully melting away as their defensive functions are no longer required.
Around the Draa Valley
The valley peters out near the settlements of Zagora and Tinfou, where a lone sand dune sits puzzlingly in the middle of a vast gravel plain, shadowing a sign reading ‘Tombouctou 51 jours’.
Fifty-one days, that is, by camel — a measurement dating from the days when Morocco exerted control right across the Sahara into Mali.
Suggested itinerary featuring the Draa Valley
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Draa Valley, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Draa Valley
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Draa Valley
- Taroudant 111 kilometers away
- The Anti Atlas 124 kilometers away
- The Souss-Massa National Park 142 kilometers away
- The Atlas Mountains 175 kilometers away
- Ourika Valley 190 kilometers away
- Ouarzazate 199 kilometers away
- Oued Mellah 207 kilometers away
- The Southern Oases Valleys 215 kilometers away
- Marrakesh 227 kilometers away
- Skoura 235 kilometers away
- Zagora 252 kilometers away
- Essaouira 255 kilometers away
- The Dades Valley 298 kilometers away
- Casablanca 448 kilometers away
- The Erg Chebbi 451 kilometers away