Visit the Draa Valley, Morocco
Heading south-east from Ouarzazate, you cross the Jebel Sarhro massif, twisted and eroded into weird onion-dome shapes, into the Draa Valley, a wider, less rugged river course.
The broad gravel plains of the river bed are planted with palms stretching as far as the eye can see, protected by a network of pisé walls and kasbahs now gracefully melting away as their defensive functions are no longer required.
Around the Draa Valley
The valley peters out near the settlements of Zagora and Tinfou, where a lone sand dune sits puzzlingly in the middle of a vast gravel plain, shadowing a sign reading ‘Tombouctou 51 jours’.
Fifty-one days, that is, by camel - a measurement dating from the days when Morocco exerted control right across the Sahara into Mali.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Draa Valley
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Draa Valley, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Draa Valley
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Draa Valley
- Taroudant 69 miles away
- The Anti Atlas 77 miles away
- The Sous Massa National Park 88 miles away
- The Atlas Mountains 109 miles away
- Ourika Valley 119 miles away
- Ouarzazate 124 miles away
- Oued Mellah 129 miles away
- The Southern Oases Valleys 134 miles away
- Marrakesh 142 miles away
- Skoura 146 miles away
- Zagora 157 miles away
- Essaouira 158 miles away
- The Dades Valley 185 miles away
- Casablanca 279 miles away
- The Erg Chebbi 281 miles away