Visit Essaouira, Morocco
Essaouira lies on the Atlantic coast west of Morocco and is one of the most picturesque towns in the country. Originally a Phoenician trading post, it prospered during the Roman era as citizens extracted the Tyrian purple color, beloved of Roman Emperors and kings, from a local shellfish.
The Sultan Sidi Mohammed had a captive Frenchman design the town and promoted trade, making Essaouira a cosmopolitan commercial center.
The fortifications that ring the city provided a haunting backdrop for Orson Wells’ Othello. Built by the Portuguese, these are intrinsic to the charm of Essaouira.
Highlights of Essaouira
Other attractions include the port, bringing in fresh fish each day, and the tremendous beach that stretches away to the south.
The easy-going nature of the town, the dramatic ramparts and the beach, with its excellent windsurfing, have combined to attract artists and hippies for years, creating a bohemian atmosphere quite different from the rest of the country.
Suggested itineraries featuring Essaouira
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Essaouira, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Essaouira
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Essaouira. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Essaouira
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Essaouira
- Taroudant 145 kilometers away
- The Sous Massa National Park 152 kilometers away
- Marrakesh 170 kilometers away
- The Atlas Mountains 181 kilometers away
- Ourika Valley 202 kilometers away
- Oued Mellah 254 kilometers away
- The Draa Valley 255 kilometers away
- The Anti Atlas 258 kilometers away
- Ourzazate 280 kilometers away
- The Southern Oases Valleys 308 kilometers away
- Casablanca 308 kilometers away
- Skoura 310 kilometers away
- The Dades Valley 360 kilometers away
- Rabat 392 kilometers away
- Zagora 398 kilometers away
- Meknes & Volubilis 475 kilometers away