Only a short distance west of Fez, the fortunes of Meknes, originally a small market town, took a dramatic turn when Sultan Moulay Ismail assumed power in the 17th century. Huge palaces, harems and miles of walls pierced with arched gates were constructed for the royal court.
On his death influence seeped away from the city; earthquakes and rain did the rest, reducing much of the massive works to subsiding mud brick interspersed with monumental gates that remind us of its former glory.
Nearby at Volubilis are the remains of one of the Roman Empire’s key Moroccan cities.
The well-preserved basilica, triumphal arch, and columns of the Capitoline Temple all stand below a wooded escarpment, and cast shadows over the most impressive aspect of the city: the mosaics, many of which are as vivid and colorful as the day they were laid.
Suggested itineraries featuring Meknes & Volubilis
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Meknes & Volubilis, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Meknes & Volubilis
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Meknes & Volubilis
- Fez 58 kilometers away
- Rabat 119 kilometers away
- Chefchaouen 145 kilometers away
- Asilah 181 kilometers away
- Casablanca 193 kilometers away
- Tangier 211 kilometers away
- The Dades Valley 283 kilometers away
- Skoura 328 kilometers away
- Oued Mellah 339 kilometers away
- Marrakesh 339 kilometers away
- The Erg Chebbi 340 kilometers away
- The Southern Oases Valleys 351 kilometers away
- Ouarzazate 355 kilometers away
- Ourika Valley 358 kilometers away
- The Atlas Mountains 379 kilometers away
- Zagora 398 kilometers away
- Essaouira 475 kilometers away