Only a short distance west of Fez, the fortunes of Meknes, originally a small market town, took a dramatic turn when Sultan Moulay Ismail assumed power in the 17th century. Huge palaces, harems and miles of walls pierced with arched gates were constructed for the royal court.
On his death influence seeped away from the city; earthquakes and rain did the rest, reducing much of the massive works to subsiding mud brick interspersed with monumental gates that remind us of its former glory.
Nearby at Volubilis are the remains of one of the Roman Empire’s key Moroccan cities.
The well-preserved basilica, triumphal arch, and columns of the Capitoline Temple all stand below a wooded escarpment, and cast shadows over the most impressive aspect of the city: the mosaics, many of which are as vivid and colorful as the day they were laid.
Map of Meknes & Volubilis
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Meknes & Volubilis
- Fez 37 miles away
- Rabat 74 miles away
- Chefchaouen 90 miles away
- Asilah 112 miles away
- Casablanca 120 miles away
- Tangier 132 miles away
- The Dades Valley 176 miles away
- Skoura 204 miles away
- Oued Mellah 211 miles away
- Marrakesh 211 miles away
- The Erg Chebbi 212 miles away
- The Southern Oases Valleys 219 miles away
- Ouarzazate 221 miles away
- Ourika Valley 222 miles away
- The Atlas Mountains 236 miles away
- Zagora 247 miles away
- Essaouira 295 miles away