Visit Fez, Morocco
Periodically capital of Morocco, the city of Fez has always occupied a place at the spiritual and political heart of the country. Founded in the ninth century, many of the early settlers were Islamic refugees, fleeing neighboring Spain and Tunisia.
Those from Tunisia founded the Kairaouiyne Mosque at the heart of their quarter, which became one of the leading universities in the Islamic world, its theories were far in advance of those understood at the time in Europe.
Many of the medressahs, built to house its students, still stand today and display exquisite craftsmanship. The medina and souqs are probably the best in Morocco, truly labyrinthine, assaulting the senses with new sounds, exotic scents and an intense experience unlikely to be rivaled elsewhere.
Many compare Fez to Marrakesh before the tourists arrived: it is certainly the most Arab of Moroccan cities, and in that sense has greater appeal to the purist.
Suggested itineraries featuring Fez
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Fez, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Fez
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Fez
- Meknes & Volubilis 59 kilometers away
- Chefchaouen 127 kilometers away
- Rabat 173 kilometers away
- Asilah 185 kilometers away
- Tangier 207 kilometers away
- Casablanca 250 kilometers away
- The Dades Valley 314 kilometers away
- The Erg Chebbi 337 kilometers away
- Skoura 365 kilometers away
- Oued Mellah 382 kilometers away
- The Southern Oases Valleys 388 kilometers away
- Marrakesh 391 kilometers away
- Ourzazate 395 kilometers away
- Ourika Valley 406 kilometers away
- Zagora 423 kilometers away
- The Atlas Mountains 428 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Fez
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Fez. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Fez
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Fez, and which use the best local guides.