Visit the Erg Chebbi, Morocco
The first colossal dunes of the Sahara rise at Morocco’s eastern edge.
The best time to see the dunes is at sunrise and sunset when the changing light subtly alters their color with each passing second, from butter yellow to gold, ochre and honey.
Visiting The Erg Chebbi
These are the most accessible dunes of the Sahara in Morocco, but are not easily incorporated into a short trip, being about 10 hours’ driving time from Fez and at least as much from Marrakesh, so realistically you need at least three-day round trip to fit them in.
They are best incorporated as part of a circuit itinerary between Marrakesh and Fez, or as a loop through the southern oases from Marrakesh.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Erg Chebbi
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Erg Chebbi, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Erg Chebbi
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Erg Chebbi
- The Dades Valley 194 kilometers away
- Zagora 201 kilometers away
- Skoura 247 kilometers away
- The Southern Oases Valleys 256 kilometers away
- Ourzazate 282 kilometers away
- Oued Mellah 302 kilometers away
- Fez 337 kilometers away
- Meknes & Volubilis 340 kilometers away
- Ourika Valley 353 kilometers away
- The Atlas Mountains 377 kilometers away
- Marrakesh 385 kilometers away
- Rabat 418 kilometers away
- Casablanca 437 kilometers away
- The Draa Valley 451 kilometers away
- Chefchaouen 463 kilometers away
- Taroudant 475 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Erg Chebbi
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Erg Chebbi. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing the Erg Chebbi
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting the Erg Chebbi, and which use the best local guides.