Rabat, the capital of Morocco, shows two distinct faces existing side-by-side.
There is the modern, French-inspired town, with wide tree-lined boulevards, cafes and bistros, peopled by hard-working government officials. And there is historic Rabat, centered on the 12th century walled medina of the Almohad sultans.
Here, Sultan Yacoub el Mansour began work on a mosque that was designed to rival that of Samarra in Iraq, at the time the largest in the world. All that remains today is a forest of columns and the lower section of a huge Moroccan-style minaret, each massive side covered in delicate carvings.
Nearby is the mausoleum of King Mohammed V, who led the country to independence from the French.
Slightly further from the center of town is the Chellah, tombs of the Merenid dynasty, now a wonderfully atmospheric, crumbling set of ruins where storks nest atop truncated minarets, and odd patches of dramatic tile-work appear through overflowing vegetation.
Suggested itineraries featuring Rabat
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Rabat, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Rabat
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Rabat
- Casablanca 87 kilometers away
- Meknes & Volubilis 119 kilometers away
- Fez 173 kilometers away
- Asilah 177 kilometers away
- Chefchaouen 192 kilometers away
- Tangier 217 kilometers away
- Marrakesh 288 kilometers away
- The Dades Valley 305 kilometers away
- Oued Mellah 321 kilometers away
- Ourika Valley 322 kilometers away
- Skoura 330 kilometers away
- The Atlas Mountains 338 kilometers away
- Ourzazate 346 kilometers away
- The Southern Oases Valleys 352 kilometers away
- Essaouira 392 kilometers away
- The Erg Chebbi 418 kilometers away
- Zagora 422 kilometers away
- Taroudant 440 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Rabat
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Rabat. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Rabat
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Rabat, and which use the best local guides.