Paternoster is a small fishing village which enjoys the best of the coast in this area.
Small-scale angling and crayfish netting is the primary economic activity here and accounts for much of the charm of the settlement, from the little whitewashed cottages where the fishermen live, to their colorful painted boats which line the shore when not out at sea. You'll also find the best fish and chips and crayfish on the West Coast here.
For those travelers who do venture this far off-the-beaten-track, you should be sure not to miss Columbine Nature Reserve, just 3 km west of the village. This relatively small reserve makes for a welcome contrast to the salty plains which are so typical of the area and was established to conserve the indigenous sandveld fynbos.
Here vast vegetated dunes sweep down to a pink shore of granite boulders, little coves and beaches which are tinted blue by the oyster shells which are washed ashore and ground to fine particles. There are some wonderful hiking trails through the reserve (see Vredenberg tourist office for maps and details).
Between Paternoster and the reserve, you will find the Columbine lighthouse (open for tours from Mon-Fri) which was built in 1936. This lighthouse is the first visible to ships from Europe rounding Africa.
For the more active, sea kayaking trips can be arranged from the reserve and offer the chance to observe the bird and marine life (including whales, in season, dolphins and seals) off the coast.
Suggested itinerary featuring Paternoster
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Paternoster, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Paternoster
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Paternoster
- Langebaan 34 kilometers away
- The Cederberg Mountains 120 kilometers away
- Cape Town 133 kilometers away
- Paarl 145 kilometers away
- Constantia 145 kilometers away
- The Winelands 153 kilometers away
- Stellenbosch 155 kilometers away
- Franschhoek 168 kilometers away
- The Cape Peninsula 169 kilometers away
- Hermanus 219 kilometers away
- The Whale Coast 220 kilometers away
- Montagu 235 kilometers away
- De Kelders 238 kilometers away
- The Overberg 255 kilometers away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 270 kilometers away
- Swellendam 273 kilometers away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 306 kilometers away
- Namaqualand 353 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 363 kilometers away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 409 kilometers away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 411 kilometers away
- Wilderness 455 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 471 kilometers away
Photos of Paternoster
Accommodation choices for Paternoster
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Paternoster. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.