Visit the Cederberg Mountains, South Africa
North of Cape Town, on the southern fringes of Namaqualand, lie the Cederberg Mountains.
The riot of color that accompanies the coming of the Namaqua spring flowers does reach south into the Cederberg, although it is the stunning backdrop of dramatic mountains speckled with tenacious fynbos and cut through with tortuous passes that draws people here year-round.
Bushmen (San) culture
The area was one of the last havens of the Bushmen, or San, and their prolific rock-art in the region recalls their peaceful existence before European settlers introduced the guns and diseases that wiped them out.
Suggested itinerary featuring the Cederberg Mountains
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Cederberg Mountains, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Cederberg Mountains
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Cederberg Mountains
- Paternoster 120 kilometers away
- Langebaan 121 kilometers away
- Paarl 138 kilometers away
- The Winelands 149 kilometers away
- Franschhoek 157 kilometers away
- Stellenbosch 162 kilometers away
- Cape Town 170 kilometers away
- Montagu 171 kilometers away
- Constantia 182 kilometers away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 194 kilometers away
- The Cape Peninsula 206 kilometers away
- Swellendam 210 kilometers away
- Hermanus 214 kilometers away
- The Whale Coast 215 kilometers away
- The Overberg 224 kilometers away
- De Kelders 230 kilometers away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 253 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 266 kilometers away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 306 kilometers away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 313 kilometers away
- Namaqualand 342 kilometers away
- Wilderness 363 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 367 kilometers away
- Knysna 404 kilometers away
- Plettenberg Bay 431 kilometers away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 459 kilometers away
Photos of the Cederberg Mountains
Accommodation choices for the Cederberg Mountains
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Cederberg Mountains. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Located on one of South Africa’s UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Bushmans Kloof is a multi award-winning private lodge set on a vast natural estate; home to one of the greatest concentrations of San rock art anywhere in Africa.
Overlooking the rugged Cederberg Mountains and endless hills of fynbos vegetation, Cederberg Ridge Wilderness Lodge is a peaceful retreat surrounded by vineyards, hiking trails and some of the Earth’s oldest artwork.