Visit Sanbona Game Reserve, South Africa
Sanbona, a tribute to the San people, is a vast 54,000 hectare wildlife reserve that can be found beneath Warmwaterberg Mountain, in the Little Karoo. It boasts five star accommodation in this arid desert with its undulating mountains and plains. At first glance it might appear uninhabited but there's an enormous variety of wildlife waiting to be discovered as well as some rock art dating back as far as four thousand years.
Sanbona offers a unique experience where the emphasis is not entirely on finding all the large game but in having a leisurely time in finding the animals and understanding how all the smaller species of flora and fauna contribute to the ecosystem as a whole. The Big Five are all present, although the sparse vegetation means game in general is not as concentrated as some other reserves, like the Kruger. As well as tracking and viewing the wildlife within the reserve, the other real attraction is the stark, inspiring scenery for which the Karoo is rightly famous.
Map of Sanbona Game Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Sanbona Game Reserve
- Swellendam 32 kilometers away
- Montagu 40 kilometers away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 75 kilometers away
- The Overberg 99 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 109 kilometers away
- Franschhoek 134 kilometers away
- Hermanus 142 kilometers away
- De Kelders 142 kilometers away
- The Whale Coast 144 kilometers away
- The Winelands 146 kilometers away
- Paarl 148 kilometers away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 154 kilometers away
- Stellenbosch 158 kilometers away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 160 kilometers away
- Wilderness 189 kilometers away
- The Cederberg Mountains 194 kilometers away
- Cape Town 198 kilometers away
- Constantia 200 kilometers away
- The Cape Peninsula 205 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 220 kilometers away
- Knysna 233 kilometers away
- Langebaan 246 kilometers away
- Plettenberg Bay 262 kilometers away
- Paternoster 270 kilometers away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 295 kilometers away
- Port Elizabeth 466 kilometers away
Photos of Sanbona Game Reserve
Accommodation choices for Sanbona Game Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sanbona Game Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Sanbona Explorer Camp is a simple dome tented camp, used on the Explorer two day walking trips. This is an incredible way to get a really unique safari experience, and learn far more than you would on a normal game-drive safari.
Gondwana Lodge is a very child friendly lodge with amazing safari programs for kids. Located in Sanbona Game Reserve, it's a perfect spot from where you can enjoy great game viewing and take a few days just to relax.
Dwyka Tented Lodge nestles into a natural amphitheater with towering cliffs rising around most of the circumference of the lodge. Your private deck overlooks the dry riverbed running along the base of the cliffs, and boasts a dip pool and outside shower.