Visit De Hoop Nature Reserve, South Africa
Reached by country roads and across a chain ferry some way south of the town of Swellendam, De Hoop is remote and beautiful.
Grassy sand dunes lightly coated in fynbos lead down onto a long, white-sand beach, off which whales breach and play during the season.
Wildlife of De Hoop Nature Reserve
As well as the unique fauna there are also several species of antelope and zebras in the reserve, and it is something of a hotspot for bird-watchers.
De Hoop is ideal for those who enjoy a bit of walking, wilderness and being close to wildlife.
Suggested itinerary featuring De Hoop Nature Reserve
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in De Hoop Nature Reserve, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of De Hoop Nature Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near De Hoop Nature Reserve
- Swellendam 46 kilometers away
- The Overberg 66 kilometers away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 75 kilometers away
- Montagu 82 kilometers away
- De Kelders 111 kilometers away
- Hermanus 121 kilometers away
- The Whale Coast 122 kilometers away
- Franschhoek 144 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 146 kilometers away
- The Winelands 159 kilometers away
- Stellenbosch 166 kilometers away
- Paarl 166 kilometers away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 179 kilometers away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 193 kilometers away
- Wilderness 193 kilometers away
- The Cape Peninsula 197 kilometers away
- Constantia 201 kilometers away
- Cape Town 204 kilometers away
- Knysna 235 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 244 kilometers away
- The Cederberg Mountains 253 kilometers away
- Plettenberg Bay 263 kilometers away
- Langebaan 277 kilometers away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 298 kilometers away
- Paternoster 306 kilometers away
- Port Elizabeth 467 kilometers away
Photos of De Hoop Nature Reserve
Accommodation choices for De Hoop Nature Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit De Hoop Nature Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Perched on the ocean’s edge in a green fynbos landscape, this boutique hotel has just five suites that offer some of the best whale watching in the world.
Whether you're in a suite or a cottage, staying here allows you to explore ocean vistas, dunes, lakes, unique fynbos plants and a variety of wildlife, with the Potberg Mountains as a backdrop.