Reached by country roads and across a chain ferry some way south of the town of Swellendam, De Hoop is remote and beautiful.
Grassy sand dunes lightly coated in fynbos lead down onto a long, white-sand beach, off which whales breach and play during the season.
Wildlife of De Hoop Nature Reserve
As well as the unique fauna there are also several species of antelope and zebras in the reserve, and it is something of a hotspot for bird-watchers.
De Hoop is ideal for those who enjoy a bit of walking, wilderness and being close to wildlife.
Suggested itinerary featuring De Hoop Nature Reserve
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in De Hoop Nature Reserve, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of De Hoop Nature Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near De Hoop Nature Reserve
- Swellendam 29 miles away
- The Overberg 41 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 47 miles away
- Montagu 51 miles away
- De Kelders 69 miles away
- Hermanus 75 miles away
- The Whale Coast 76 miles away
- Franschhoek 90 miles away
- Calitzdorp 91 miles away
- The Winelands 99 miles away
- Stellenbosch 103 miles away
- Paarl 103 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 112 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 120 miles away
- Wilderness 120 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 123 miles away
- Constantia 125 miles away
- Cape Town 127 miles away
- Knysna 146 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 152 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 157 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 163 miles away
- Langebaan 172 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 185 miles away
- Paternoster 190 miles away
- Port Elizabeth 290 miles away
Photos of De Hoop Nature Reserve
Accommodation choices for De Hoop Nature Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit De Hoop Nature Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Whether you're in a suite or a cottage, staying here allows you to explore ocean vistas, dunes, lakes, unique fynbos plants and a variety of wildlife, with the Potberg Mountains as a backdrop.
Perched on the ocean’s edge in a green fynbos landscape, this boutique hotel has just five suites that offer some of the best whale watching in the world.