Visit Oudtshoorn & Surrounds, South Africa
The Great Karoo is the arid semi-desert that comprises much of the heart of South Africa.
On its fringes is the Little Karoo, a slightly more hospitable environment which proved ideal for rearing ostriches. Thanks to the Victorian craze for ostrich feathers, the town of Oudtshoorn flourished. Whilst exploring the town you will see many of the "Feather Palaces", houses of the merchants who grew rich from the feather trade.
Outside Oudtshoorn are the Cango Caves, one of the premier natural attractions in South Africa. Huge caverns with stalagmites and stalactites are open to the public and have been lit in such a way as to make them especially dramatic. Another popular activity in the area is visiting an ostrich farm, where you can learn about these odd birds, and may get the chance to see them race.
Suggested itineraries featuring Oudtshoorn & Surrounds
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Oudtshoorn & Surrounds, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Oudtshoorn & Surrounds
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Oudtshoorn & Surrounds
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 14 miles away
- Calitzdorp 30 miles away
- Wilderness 36 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 42 miles away
- Knysna 58 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 74 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 92 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 96 miles away
- Swellendam 106 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 112 miles away
- Montagu 121 miles away
- The Overberg 148 miles away
- De Kelders 177 miles away
- Franschhoek 179 miles away
- Hermanus 180 miles away
- The Whale Coast 181 miles away
- The Winelands 187 miles away
- Paarl 187 miles away
- Stellenbosch 194 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 195 miles away
- Port Elizabeth 196 miles away
- Addo Elephant National Park 206 miles away
- Cape Town 219 miles away
- Constantia 220 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 222 miles away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 225 miles away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 225 miles away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 236 miles away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 242 miles away
- Langebaan 244 miles away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 254 miles away
- Paternoster 256 miles away
Photos of Oudtshoorn & Surrounds
Accommodation choices for Oudtshoorn & Surrounds
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Oudtshoorn & Surrounds. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This elegant Victorian house offers history, charm and a peaceful setting amongst beautifully manicured gardens. The relaxed atmosphere and comfortable rooms make this a welcoming property to return to after exploring the area’s natural and historic attractions.
La Plume is a Victorian-style homestead dating back to 1902, situated in the tranquil surroundings of a working ostrich, alfalfa and vine farm in the Klein Karoo.
Family-run, The Thorntree offers a comfortable stay and is a base from which to explore Oudtshoorn and the surrounding area, including the spectacular Cango Caves. The food here is excellent.