Visit the Klein Karoo, South Africa
The Karoo is the vast semi-desert that comprises the bulk of the interior of South Africa and is an inhospitable place.
On its southern fringe lies the Klein Karoo, an arid area that still supports sufficient life to make farming viable. Stark mountains are traversed by dramatic passes and towns retain a frontier air.
The people are remarkably hospitable and the atmosphere is markedly different from that of the Cape Region and Garden Route.
Places to visit in the Klein Karoo
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Klein Karoo, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring the Klein Karoo
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Klein Karoo, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Klein Karoo
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Klein Karoo
- Calitzdorp The Klein Karoo
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass The Klein Karoo
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds The Klein Karoo
- Wilderness 44 miles away
- Knysna 44 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 52 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 61 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 137 miles away
- Swellendam 147 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 152 miles away
- Port Elizabeth 160 miles away
- Montagu 161 miles away
- Addo Elephant National Park 167 miles away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 186 miles away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 186 miles away
- The Overberg 189 miles away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 196 miles away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 202 miles away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 213 miles away
- De Kelders 217 miles away
- Franschhoek 220 miles away
- Hermanus 221 miles away
- The Whale Coast 222 miles away
- The Winelands 227 miles away
- Paarl 228 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 228 miles away
- Stellenbosch 235 miles away
- Cape Town 260 miles away
- Constantia 261 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 263 miles away
- Langebaan 282 miles away
- Paternoster 293 miles away
- East London 293 miles away
Photos of the Klein Karoo
Accommodation choices for the Klein Karoo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Klein Karoo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This elegant Victorian house offers history, charm and a peaceful setting amongst beautifully manicured gardens. The relaxed atmosphere and comfortable rooms make this a welcoming property to return to after exploring the area’s natural and historic attractions.
La Plume is a Victorian-style homestead dating back to 1902, situated in the tranquil surroundings of a working ostrich, alfalfa and vine farm in the Klein Karoo.
Family-run, The Thorntree offers a comfortable stay and is a base from which to explore Oudtshoorn and the surrounding area, including the spectacular Cango Caves. The food here is excellent.