Wine tasting, ostrich farms, mountain passes, and underground caverns, all in the Klein Karoo
A convenient stop along South Africa’s Garden Route, the Klein (Little) Karoo is a narrow valley that runs between coastal mountains and the Swartberg Range. The sunny, dry climate here is ideal for the area’s two major industries — wine making and ostrich farming.
Our specialists have explored the region and can plan a visit to the Klein Karoo that will offer you the chance to sample local wines as well as explore the history of the ostrich trade. In Oudtshoorn, Victorian merchants made their fortunes by catering to the mania for ostrich plumes on hats, and you can still see their ornate sandstone mansions, known as feather palaces. We can arrange for you to visit a modern-day ostrich farm to learn more about this very niche business. You might also want to visit the CP Nel Museum; set in a feather palace, the museum’s exhibits examine the region’s avian agricultural heritage.
Beyond Oudtshoorn, you can appreciate some of the country’s most impressive mountains by taking a guided driving tour along the Swartberg Pass, a steep, winding mountain road littered with wind-carved sandstone sculptures. Or, venture inside the Cango Caves, a sprawling complex of caverns and tunnels that were inhabited during the Paleolithic and rediscovered in the 1800s.
Places to visit in the Klein Karoo
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Klein Karoo, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring the Klein Karoo
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Klein Karoo, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Klein Karoo
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Klein Karoo
- Calitzdorp The Klein Karoo
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass The Klein Karoo
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds The Klein Karoo
- Wilderness 44 miles away
- Knysna 44 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 52 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 71 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 137 miles away
- Swellendam 147 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 152 miles away
- Montagu 161 miles away
- Port Elizabeth 162 miles away
- Addo Elephant National Park 167 miles away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 185 miles away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 186 miles away
- The Overberg 189 miles away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 196 miles away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 202 miles away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 213 miles away
- De Kelders 217 miles away
- Franschhoek 220 miles away
- Hermanus 221 miles away
- The Whale Coast 222 miles away
- Paarl 227 miles away
- The Winelands 227 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 228 miles away
- Stellenbosch 235 miles away
- Cape Town 260 miles away
- Constantia 261 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 263 miles away
- Langebaan 282 miles away
- East London 292 miles away
- Paternoster 293 miles away
Photos of the Klein Karoo
Accommodation choices for the Klein Karoo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Klein Karoo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.