Visit Tsitsikamma Forest, South Africa
The Tsitsikamma Forest, stretching east along the coast from Plettenberg Bay, is an area of great natural attraction and has a range of activities to suit all tastes.
Thickly forested hillsides are cleaved by deep canyons that carve through cliffs at the shore, their dark waters merging with frothy ocean swells. Dizzying bridges cross these canyons, some of which are modern road bridges – spectacular pieces of architecture in their own right - some rope suspension bridges atmospherically slung near the water for walkers.
Apart from jumping off these bridges and splashing your way up or down the rivers in a variety of vessels, there are also hiking trails through the woods.
In a small cluster in the west of the forest are three fantastic eco-ventures: an elephant sanctuary, Monkeyland (a huge reserve for primates released from captivity), and the Birds of Eden (an enormous dome housing a swathe of rainforest and all manner of African birds).
Suggested itineraries featuring Tsitsikamma Forest
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Tsitsikamma Forest, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tsitsikamma Forest
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tsitsikamma Forest
- Plettenberg Bay 36 kilometers away
- Knysna 64 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 98 kilometers away
- Wilderness 107 kilometers away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 147 kilometers away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 154 kilometers away
- Port Elizabeth 171 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 195 kilometers away
- Addo Elephant National Park 196 kilometers away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 224 kilometers away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 227 kilometers away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 244 kilometers away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 254 kilometers away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 278 kilometers away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 295 kilometers away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 298 kilometers away
- Swellendam 304 kilometers away
- Montagu 334 kilometers away
- The Overberg 363 kilometers away
- East London 403 kilometers away
- De Kelders 408 kilometers away
- Hermanus 417 kilometers away
- The Whale Coast 418 kilometers away
- Franschhoek 426 kilometers away
- The Winelands 439 kilometers away
- Paarl 442 kilometers away
- Stellenbosch 450 kilometers away
- The Cederberg Mountains 459 kilometers away
Photos of Tsitsikamma Forest
Ideas for experiencing Tsitsikamma Forest
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Tsitsikamma Forest, and which use the best local guides.
Visit Tsitsikamma National Park, where with a guide, you will experience a sea kayak trip the open ocean to the Storms River mouth and onward, passing under its photogenic suspension bridge. The upper reaches of the river gorge are explored by lilo, which are better able to navigate the shallower waters.
At the eastern end of the Garden Route, and easily accessible from any of the Garden Route destinations, is the Tsitsikamma Forest, a dense cloak of deep green that coats the mountains.