The Tsitsikamma Forest, stretching east along the coast from Plettenberg Bay, is an area of great natural attraction and has a range of activities to suit all tastes.
Thickly forested hillsides are cleaved by deep canyons that carve through cliffs at the shore, their dark waters merging with frothy ocean swells. Dizzying bridges cross these canyons, some of which are modern road bridges – spectacular pieces of architecture in their own right - some rope suspension bridges atmospherically slung near the water for walkers.
Apart from jumping off these bridges and splashing your way up or down the rivers in a variety of vessels, there are also hiking trails through the woods.
In a small cluster in the west of the forest are three fantastic eco-ventures: an elephant sanctuary, Monkeyland (a huge reserve for primates released from captivity), and the Birds of Eden (an enormous dome housing a swathe of rainforest and all manner of African birds).
Suggested itineraries featuring Tsitsikamma Forest
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Tsitsikamma Forest, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tsitsikamma Forest
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tsitsikamma Forest
- Plettenberg Bay 23 miles away
- Knysna 40 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 61 miles away
- Wilderness 67 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 92 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 96 miles away
- Port Elizabeth 107 miles away
- Calitzdorp 121 miles away
- Addo Elephant National Park 122 miles away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 140 miles away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 141 miles away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 152 miles away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 158 miles away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 173 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 183 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 185 miles away
- Swellendam 189 miles away
- Montagu 208 miles away
- The Overberg 225 miles away
- East London 251 miles away
- De Kelders 254 miles away
- Hermanus 259 miles away
- The Whale Coast 260 miles away
- Franschhoek 265 miles away
- The Winelands 273 miles away
- Paarl 275 miles away
- Stellenbosch 280 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 285 miles away
Ideas for experiencing Tsitsikamma Forest
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Tsitsikamma Forest, and which use the best local guides.