Visit Shamwari Private Game Reserve, South Africa
Perhaps the best known of the Eastern Cape private game reserves, Shamwari is one of the largest private game reserves in the country. This means that you can range across large areas of land, covering many different landscapes and habitats, during your game drives.
The reserve's antelope species are remarkably well habituated to vehicles, and impala and springbok will only move leisurely away from the vehicle once you get very close. This means you can get a good look at these animals, including the large numbers of males that sport superb sets of horns. Shamwari is also home to the Big Five, as well as cheetah.
Bush walks need to be requested at the time of booking due to the allocation of qualified walking guides. Anyone over the age of 60 years who wishes to participate in bush walks, a medical certificate will be required for proof of fitness. Please take the certificate with you and present it to the check-in staff.
Map of Shamwari Private Game Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Shamwari Private Game Reserve
- Amakhala Game Reserve 8 miles away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 11 miles away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 18 miles away
- Addo Elephant National Park 20 miles away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 35 miles away
- Port Elizabeth 46 miles away
- East London 110 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 141 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 163 miles away
- Knysna 180 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 186 miles away
- Coffee Bay 205 miles away
- Wilderness 206 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 224 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 225 miles away
- Port St Johns 237 miles away
- Calitzdorp 254 miles away
- Lesotho 300 miles away
Photos of Shamwari Private Game Reserve
Accommodation choices for Shamwari Private Game Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Shamwari Private Game Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Riverdene is ideal for families, allowing children age four upwards on safari. They run a children's programme and have a playroom at the lodge, as well as extensive baby-sitting facilities.
A graceful and elegant place to stay while on safari, Long Lee is larger than the other lodges on the Shamwari Reserve and offers a convivial atmosphere without compromising on comfort or service.
A stunning lodge, which gets you amazingly close to nature, housed among the forest itself. The suites are a delight, very comfortable and spacious, with a really unique design and great views.