Visit Lesotho, South Africa
The term “mountain kingdom” is wholly appropriate for Lesotho, both geographically and historically.
Moshoeshoe I, the founding king, defended his nascent kingdom from the mountain top of Thaba Bosiu, and the country is dominated by rugged peaks and high plateaus.
Getting around Lesotho
The land in the west is flattest, and it is here that most development has taken place around the capital Maseru. The infrastructure is pretty basic too and most of the roads that traverse the country require 4WD if it has been raining.
It requires a far greater sense of humour and adventure to explore than neighbouring South Africa, and those who persevere are rewarded with superb hiking and pony trails, spectacular waterfalls, jagged mountain scenery and extensive San rock art.
Map of Lesotho
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lesotho
- The Drakensberg 69 miles away
- Spioenkop 95 miles away
- The Midlands 110 miles away
- The South Coast 155 miles away
- The Battlefields 162 miles away
- Port St Johns 163 miles away
- Durban 165 miles away
- Umhlanga Rocks 168 miles away
- Coffee Bay 177 miles away
- Johannesburg 239 miles away
- East London 242 miles away
- Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve 252 miles away
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 261 miles away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 269 miles away
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 274 miles away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 274 miles away
- Lake St Lucia 277 miles away
- Eswatini 281 miles away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 289 miles away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 295 miles away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 300 miles away