Visit the South Coast, South Africa
From Durban, south to the border with the Eastern Cape, are miles of beaches. One remarkable spectacle here is the annual sardine migration, around June-July.
The South Coast, South Africa
From Durban, south to the border with the Eastern Cape, are miles of beaches dotted with exclusive residences and holiday towns.
Apart from the beaches, one of the principal reasons to visit the area is to try to catch the sardine run that occurs annually around June-July.
Huge shoals, kilometres across, move northward up the coast in their annual migration. When driven towards the shore, the sardines are so plentiful that people simply wade in and scoop out as many as they need.
The shoals attract an attendant array of sharks and dolphins, as well as game fish and the fishermen chasing them. All in all it is a remarkable spectacle.
Suggested itineraries featuring the South Coast
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the South Coast, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the South Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the South Coast
- Durban 39 miles away
- Umhlanga Rocks 47 miles away
- The Midlands 65 miles away
- The Drakensberg 102 miles away
- Port St Johns 113 miles away
- Spioenkop 137 miles away
- The Battlefields 137 miles away
- Coffee Bay 147 miles away
- Lesotho 155 miles away
- Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve 178 miles away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 193 miles away
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 196 miles away
- Lake St Lucia 197 miles away
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 203 miles away
- East London 248 miles away
- Eswatini 263 miles away
- The Elephant Coast 264 miles away
Ideas for experiencing the South Coast
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting the South Coast, and which use the best local guides.