Visit the Midlands, South Africa
The Midlands, South Africa
The Midlands is an area of gentle rolling hills stretching northwest from Durban.
British military connections
It was here where the British army billeted its troops during the Anglo-Boer and Anglo-Zulu wars. As a consequence, British connections are strong with stud farms and breweries dotted across the landscape.
Few people dally here, but those that do are rewarded with the chance to browse through the many craft and curio stalls that occur frequently by the side of the roads and the pleasure of relaxing surroundings and some great accommodation.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Midlands
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Midlands, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Midlands
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Midlands
- The Drakensberg 44 miles away
- Durban 58 miles away
- Umhlanga Rocks 60 miles away
- The South Coast 65 miles away
- Spioenkop 73 miles away
- The Battlefields 89 miles away
- Lesotho 110 miles away
- Port St Johns 147 miles away
- Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve 159 miles away
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 173 miles away
- Coffee Bay 177 miles away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 179 miles away
- Lake St Lucia 183 miles away
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 184 miles away
- Eswatini 222 miles away
- The Elephant Coast 243 miles away
- Johannesburg 270 miles away
- East London 271 miles away
Photos of the Midlands
Accommodation choices for the Midlands
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Midlands. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing the Midlands
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting the Midlands, and which use the best local guides.
The KwaZulu-Natal Midlands formed the heart of the British colony of Natal, as it was here that the squires and gentlemen of colonial society saw the greatest resemblance to home.