This park was originally two separate reserves, now combined into one huge area with some 960 square kilometres under conservation.
Hluhluwe is the oldest game reserve in Africa, declared by Zulu kings in 1895, and is an area of rounded hills and valleys known for good game and bird spotting.
IMfolozi, the southern part of the park, is perhaps best known as the base for Operation Rhino in the 1950s and 1960s, which was almost entirely responsible for saving the white rhino from extinction. It is lower lying, with broad rivers crossing the landscape.
Guided game drives and walks are also offered by KZN Wildlife, the organisation that does an excellent job of running this and all other public reserves in KwaZulu-Natal.
Accommodation is in public rest camps, and you normally explore in your own vehicle at your own pace on the good network of roads through the park.
Suggested Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 20 miles away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 23 miles away
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 25 miles away
- Lake St Lucia 26 miles away
- The Elephant Coast 86 miles away
- The Battlefields 93 miles away
- Eswatini 109 miles away
- Umhlanga Rocks 131 miles away
- Durban 140 miles away
- The Midlands 159 miles away
- Spioenkop 164 miles away
- The South Coast 178 miles away
- The Drakensberg 186 miles away
- Southern & Central Sectors Kruger National Park 192 miles away
- Hazyview 218 miles away
- Sabi Sand Wildtuin 228 miles away
- The Escarpment 235 miles away
- Kruger National Park 251 miles away
- Lesotho 252 miles away
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve 255 miles away
- Thornybush Reserve 256 miles away
- Kapama Private Game Reserve 261 miles away
- Timbavati Game Reserve 262 miles away
- Johannesburg 283 miles away
- Greater Makalali Game Reserve 285 miles away
- Port St Johns 290 miles away
Accommodation choices for Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.