This park was originally two separate reserves, now combined into one huge area with some 960 square kilometers under conservation.
Hluhluwe is the oldest game reserve in Africa, declared by Zulu kings in 1895, and is an area of rounded hills and valleys known for good game and bird spotting.
iMfolozi, the southern part of the park, is perhaps best known as the base for Operation Rhino in the 1950s and 1960s, which was almost entirely responsible for saving the white rhino from extinction. It is lower lying, with broad rivers crossing the landscape.
Guided game drives and walks are also offered by KZN Wildlife, the organization that does an excellent job of running this and all other public reserves in KwaZulu-Natal.
Accommodation is in public rest camps, and you normally explore in your own vehicle at your own pace on the good network of roads through the park.
Map of Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 26 miles away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 36 miles away
- Lake St Lucia 39 miles away
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 41 miles away
- The Battlefields 82 miles away
- The Elephant Coast 101 miles away
- Umhlanga Rocks 116 miles away
- Eswatini 117 miles away
- Durban 125 miles away
- The Midlands 144 miles away
- Spioenkop 151 miles away
- The South Coast 163 miles away
- The Drakensberg 172 miles away
- Southern & Central Sectors Kruger National Park 202 miles away
- Hazyview 227 miles away
- Sabi Sands Game Reserve 237 miles away
- The Escarpment 242 miles away
- Lesotho 244 miles away
- Kruger National Park 262 miles away
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve 263 miles away
- Thornybush Reserve 265 miles away
- Kapama Private Game Reserve 270 miles away
- Timbavati Game Reserve 271 miles away
- Port St Johns 275 miles away
- Johannesburg 278 miles away
- Greater Makalali Game Reserve 296 miles away
Photos of Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park
Accommodation choices for Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.