Visit the Elephant Coast, South Africa
The Elephant Coast region covers the empty beaches of northern KwaZulu-Natal, and the unique and remarkable coastal forest of this area.
Wildlife of the Elephant Coast
On shore you have a lush, green canopy, home to myriad birds, antelopes and monkeys, which creeps up high sand dunes that then fall away to amazing beaches.
As well as their beauty and solitude, these areas are great for diving with a wonderful variety of sea life, including the turtles which make annual pilgrimages to the region to nest.
Map of the Elephant Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Elephant Coast
- Lake St Lucia The Elephant Coast
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 61 miles away
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 70 miles away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 73 miles away
- Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve 86 miles away
- Eswatini 90 miles away
- Southern & Central Sectors Kruger National Park 139 miles away
- The Battlefields 166 miles away
- Hazyview 174 miles away
- Sabi Sand Wildtuin 175 miles away
- Kruger National Park 192 miles away
- The Escarpment 197 miles away
- Thornybush Reserve 206 miles away
- Timbavati Game Reserve 208 miles away
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve 212 miles away
- Kapama Private Game Reserve 212 miles away
- Umhlanga Rocks 217 miles away
- Durban 225 miles away
- Spioenkop 235 miles away
- Greater Makalali Game Reserve 238 miles away
- The Midlands 243 miles away
- The South Coast 264 miles away
- The Drakensberg 266 miles away
Photos of the Elephant Coast
Accommodation choices for the Elephant Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Elephant Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Set among golden sand dunes bordering a large, secluded beach, Thonga Beach Lodge is an intimately-sized retreat with a relaxing feel. Its thatched rondavel accommodation blends in well with the natural surroundings, and the variety of activities on offer sets it apart from other beachside properties.
Kosi Forest Lodge is located in the Kosi Bay Nature Reserve, a remote and unspoilt area of lakes, rivers and coastal forests that forms part of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, a recognized World Heritage Site.