Visit the Escarpment, South Africa
Within easy reach of the Kruger National Park, the Mpumulanga Escarpment is a dramatic mountain chain which forms part of the greater Drakensberg Range.
Blyde River Canyon is the focal point of this area, with its meandering river and steep sided gorge. The canyon can be visited by road along the Panorama Route, taking in the numerous scenic viewpoints; God’s Window is particularly stunning. Nearby, Pilgrim’s Rest is a charming town, designated as a historic monument. It sprung to life in the late 19th centrury during the gold rush and the well preserved buildings are bursting with Victorian artifacts. The towns of Hazyview and White River are the main towns in this area and accommodation is found here and in the surrounding countryside.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Escarpment
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Escarpment, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Escarpment
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Escarpment
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve The Escarpment
- Hazyview The Escarpment
- Kapama Private Game Reserve 40 miles away
- Thornybush Reserve 41 miles away
- Sabi Sand Wildtuin 46 miles away
- Timbavati Game Reserve 53 miles away
- Greater Makalali Game Reserve 54 miles away
- Southern & Central Sectors Kruger National Park 64 miles away
- Kruger National Park 68 miles away
- Eswatini 127 miles away
- Johannesburg 186 miles away
- The Elephant Coast 197 miles away
- The Waterberg 207 miles away
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 217 miles away
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 222 miles away
- The Pilanesberg National Park 231 miles away
- Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve 235 miles away
- Lake St Lucia 237 miles away
- The Battlefields 240 miles away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 240 miles away
- Spioenkop 272 miles away
- The Madikwe Game Reserve 282 miles away
Accommodation choices for the Escarpment
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Escarpment. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.