Visit Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve, South Africa
This park was originally two separate reserves, now combined into one huge area with some 960 square kilometers under conservation.
Hluhluwe is the oldest game reserve in Africa, declared by Zulu kings in 1895, and is an area of rounded hills and valleys known for good game and bird spotting.
IMfolozi, the southern part of the park, is perhaps best known as the base for Operation Rhino in the 1950s and 1960s, which was almost entirely responsible for saving the white rhino from extinction. It is lower lying, with broad rivers crossing the landscape.
Guided game drives and walks are also offered by KZN Wildlife, the organization that does an excellent job of running this and all other public reserves in KwaZulu-Natal.
Accommodation is in public rest camps, and you normally explore in your own vehicle at your own pace on the good network of roads through the park.
Map of Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 32 kilometers away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 37 kilometers away
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 41 kilometers away
- Lake St Lucia 41 kilometers away
- The Elephant Coast 139 kilometers away
- The Battlefields 150 kilometers away
- Eswatini 175 kilometers away
- Umhlanga Rocks 211 kilometers away
- Durban 225 kilometers away
- The Midlands 256 kilometers away
- Spioenkop 263 kilometers away
- The South Coast 286 kilometers away
- The Drakensberg 300 kilometers away
- Southern & Central Sectors Kruger National Park 309 kilometers away
- Hazyview 351 kilometers away
- Sabi Sands Game Reserve 366 kilometers away
- The Escarpment 378 kilometers away
- Kruger National Park 404 kilometers away
- Lesotho 405 kilometers away
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve 410 kilometers away
- Thornybush Reserve 412 kilometers away
- Kapama Private Game Reserve 420 kilometers away
- Timbavati Game Reserve 421 kilometers away
- Johannesburg 455 kilometers away
- Greater Makalali Game Reserve 458 kilometers away
- Port St Johns 466 kilometers away
Photos of Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve
Accommodation choices for Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Falaza is a luxury tented lodge, with 15 tented suites in total. The lodge sits within its own small game reserve of 800 hectares which contains giraffe, rhino, buffalo and various species of antelope.