Visit Spioenkop, South Africa
Spioenkop takes its name from the Dutch name Spion Kop, meaning Spy or Lookout Hill, back in 1837 when the Voortrekkers settled in this region. The history here is different to that of the nearby Battlefields, as Spioenkop was the site for the second Anglo-Boer war (1899-1902), where Winston Churchill fought alongside the British Army, as well as a young Mohandas Gandhi (the future Mahatma Gandhi).
Whilst here, you can visit the Spioenkop Nature Reserve on walks or horseback, where wildlife includes various antelope species, giraffe and rhino. The Northern Drakensberg mountain range, including uKhahlamba National Park (formerly the Royal Natal National Park), Cathedral Peak and Champagne Valley, offer some superb hiking opportunities.
Map of Spioenkop
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Spioenkop
- The Drakensberg 81 kilometers away
- The Battlefields 114 kilometers away
- The Midlands 117 kilometers away
- Lesotho 152 kilometers away
- Umhlanga Rocks 194 kilometers away
- Durban 198 kilometers away
- The South Coast 220 kilometers away
- Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve 263 kilometers away
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 274 kilometers away
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 295 kilometers away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 300 kilometers away
- Eswatini 302 kilometers away
- Lake St Lucia 303 kilometers away
- Johannesburg 319 kilometers away
- Port St Johns 329 kilometers away
- Coffee Bay 371 kilometers away
- The Elephant Coast 377 kilometers away
- Southern & Central Sectors Kruger National Park 428 kilometers away
- Hazyview 435 kilometers away
- The Escarpment 437 kilometers away
- The Pilanesberg National Park 450 kilometers away
- Sabi Sands Game Reserve 469 kilometers away
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve 474 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Spioenkop
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Spioenkop. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Three Tree Hill is found in the foothills of the central Drakensberg, overlooking the Boar War battlefield of Spioenkop.