Visit the Midlands, South Africa
The Midlands, South Africa
The Midlands is an area of gentle rolling hills stretching northwest from Durban.
British military connections
It was here where the British army billeted its troops during the Anglo-Boer and Anglo-Zulu wars. As a consequence, British connections are strong with stud farms and breweries dotted across the landscape.
Few people dally here, but those that do are rewarded with the chance to browse through the many craft and curio stalls that occur frequently by the side of the roads and the pleasure of relaxing surroundings and some great accommodation.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Midlands
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Midlands, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Midlands
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Midlands
- The Drakensberg 70 kilometers away
- Durban 93 kilometers away
- Umhlanga Rocks 96 kilometers away
- The South Coast 104 kilometers away
- Spioenkop 117 kilometers away
- The Battlefields 143 kilometers away
- Lesotho 176 kilometers away
- Port St Johns 236 kilometers away
- Hluhluwe-IMfolozi Game Reserve 256 kilometers away
- Thanda Safari Private Game Reserve 278 kilometers away
- Coffee Bay 285 kilometers away
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park 288 kilometers away
- Lake St Lucia 294 kilometers away
- Phinda Private Game Reserve 295 kilometers away
- Eswatini 356 kilometers away
- The Elephant Coast 390 kilometers away
- Johannesburg 435 kilometers away
- East London 437 kilometers away
Photos of the Midlands
Accommodation choices for the Midlands
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Midlands. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing the Midlands
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting the Midlands, and which use the best local guides.
The KwaZulu-Natal Midlands formed the heart of the British colony of Natal, as it was here that the squires and gentlemen of colonial society saw the greatest resemblance to home.