The drive into Coffee Bay from the N2 highway takes you through a landscape that has changed little in centuries.
Thatched rondavels cover the countryside next to fields of sugarcane protected by natural fences of spiky aloe. Cattle, horses and people wander freely, including on the road.
Activities in Coffee Bay
Coffee Bay itself is a small settlement divided by a river. There is an attractive beach, some good rocks for fishing and nice hiking along the cliffs.
The Hole in the Wall
A short drive (or a hike of three or so hours) brings you to Hole in the Wall, one of South Africa’s natural wonders. It's an offshore formation of rock which has had a hole bored through it by centuries of waves that now crash through and rush out of the far side.
Map of Coffee Bay
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Coffee Bay
- Port St Johns 34 miles away
- East London 103 miles away
- The South Coast 147 miles away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 171 miles away
- Lesotho 173 miles away
- The Midlands 177 miles away
- The Drakensberg 181 miles away
- Durban 185 miles away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 188 miles away
- Umhlanga Rocks 193 miles away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 195 miles away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 205 miles away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 209 miles away
- Addo Elephant National Park 223 miles away
- Spioenkop 231 miles away
- Port Elizabeth 247 miles away
- The Battlefields 266 miles away