At the heart of the Garden Route is Knysna, the town most geared towards tourism.
The setting for this historic logging town is wonderfully dramatic, hemmed in between the Knysna Lagoon and mountainous Knysna Forest.
Walking and hiking in Knysna
Knysna sits on the edge of a lagoon that meets the surging sea in tempestuous waters between the buttress-like sandstone cliffs of the Knysna Heads. Behind the town, thick forests cover the hills and there are a number of well-marked walking and hiking trails, while you can get up close to the small herd of resident elephant at the Knysna Elephant Park.
Driving over the Seven Passes road from George is a great way to approach Knysna, getting you in amongst the dramatic scenery.
The town itself offers an array of curio shops and a lively waterfront development, and is famous for its delicious oysters and fresh seafood.
Suggested Knysna itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Knysna, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Knysna
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Knysna
- Plettenberg Bay 18 miles away
- Wilderness 28 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 40 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 44 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 58 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 66 miles away
- Calitzdorp 86 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 145 miles away
- Port Elizabeth 146 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 146 miles away
- Swellendam 150 miles away
- Addo Elephant National Park 161 miles away
- Montagu 169 miles away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 179 miles away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 180 miles away
- The Overberg 186 miles away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 191 miles away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 197 miles away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 212 miles away
- De Kelders 214 miles away
- Hermanus 220 miles away
- The Whale Coast 221 miles away
- Franschhoek 226 miles away
- The Winelands 234 miles away
- Paarl 236 miles away
- Stellenbosch 241 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 251 miles away
- Constantia 266 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 266 miles away
- Cape Town 266 miles away
- East London 290 miles away
- Langebaan 297 miles away
Accommodation choices for Knysna
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Knysna. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Knysna
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Knysna, and which use the best local guides.