Visit the Whale Coast, South Africa
The sheer coastline of Walker Bay allows migrating southern right whales to approach within metres of the shore.
They take shelter from June until December, making this the premier land-based whale watching destination in the world.
Great white sharks
Boat trips provide the opportunity to get closer to these enormous creatures as well as their deep-sea neighbours, the great white sharks and teeming colonies of playful seals.
The backdrop of stunning white-sand beaches and towering sand dunes carpeted in fynbos complete a wonderful experience. The centre of the marine activity is the pretty harbour town of Hermanus, where a whale crier announces nearby sightings with loud blasts on his dry kelp horn.
As well as the whales, sharks and the beautiful and unique shoreline, the area also boasts several vineyards fast gaining international recognition.
Map of the Whale Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Whale Coast
- Hermanus less than 5 miles away
- De Kelders 12 miles away
- The Overberg 35 miles away
- Franschhoek 37 miles away
- Stellenbosch 41 miles away
- The Winelands 44 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 48 miles away
- Paarl 51 miles away
- Constantia 54 miles away
- Cape Town 59 miles away
- Montagu 69 miles away
- Swellendam 75 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 76 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 90 miles away
- Langebaan 116 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 134 miles away
- Paternoster 137 miles away
- Calitzdorp 155 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 181 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 187 miles away
- Wilderness 195 miles away
- Knysna 221 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 222 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 238 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 260 miles away
Accommodation choices for the Whale Coast
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Whale Coast. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.