Tucked into the end of a valley, Franschhoek is the prettiest town in the Winelands.
Surrounded on three sides by towering mountains in a setting reminiscent of the Scottish Highlands.
Franschhoek translates as ‘French corner’, commemorating the Huguenot refugees granted land here in their flight from 17th century persecution in France. It is refreshingly compact, with most of the shops, restaurants and the Huguenot Memorial located within minutes of the main street.
Thanks to the French influence, some of the country’s best vineyards are also in and around the town.
Suggested itineraries featuring Franschhoek
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Franschhoek, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Franschhoek
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Franschhoek
- The Winelands 10 miles away
- Paarl 16 miles away
- Stellenbosch 16 miles away
- Hermanus 36 miles away
- The Whale Coast 37 miles away
- Cape Town 41 miles away
- Constantia 42 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 48 miles away
- De Kelders 48 miles away
- The Overberg 54 miles away
- Montagu 59 miles away
- Swellendam 77 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 83 miles away
- Langebaan 85 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 90 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 98 miles away
- Paternoster 105 miles away
- Calitzdorp 150 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 179 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 182 miles away
- Wilderness 199 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 220 miles away
- Knysna 226 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 244 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 265 miles away
Accommodation choices for Franschhoek
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Franschhoek. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Franschhoek
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Franschhoek, and which use the best local guides.