The Cape Peninsula is one of the world’s biodiversity hotspots, with a huge number of endemic floral species crammed into a small area.
Fauna and flora of the Cape Peninsula
The principal vegetation is fynbos, heather-like bushes found nowhere else. Much of the peninsula is given over to one of the most beautiful National Parks in South Africa, combining spectacular scenery with indigenous animals. In the waters off the coast, seals frolic in kelp forests, whilst resident penguins encounter migrating whales.
Simon’s Town boasts a high street of historic Victorian architecture, and at Cape Point, there is a funicular railway to take you to the end of the continent, where a lighthouse stands sentinel over one of the most spectacular views in the world. Waves crash against the foot of the cliffs hundreds of feet below, and the sea stretches to a vast curved horizon, its surface whitened by winds that have blown unhindered from the Antarctic.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Cape Peninsula
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Cape Peninsula, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Cape Peninsula
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Cape Peninsula
- Constantia 17 miles away
- Cape Town 24 miles away
- Stellenbosch 34 miles away
- The Winelands 44 miles away
- Franschhoek 48 miles away
- The Whale Coast 48 miles away
- Paarl 48 miles away
- Hermanus 49 miles away
- De Kelders 58 miles away
- The Overberg 82 miles away
- Langebaan 85 miles away
- Montagu 104 miles away
- Paternoster 105 miles away
- Swellendam 117 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 123 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 128 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 128 miles away
- Calitzdorp 195 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 222 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 227 miles away
- Wilderness 239 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 263 miles away
- Knysna 266 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 284 miles away