Within easy driving distance of Cape Town, the valleys of Paarl, Stellenbosch and Franschhoek have become known as 'The Winelands'.
The area was first opened up by European settlers in 1679 when Governor van der Stel founded Stellenbosch. As well as the pretty towns, the Winelands is also a stunningly beautiful region, where broad undulating valleys wind between towering mountains, dusted with snow in the winter months and blessed by endless sun in summer.
Cape Dutch architecture
As you drive over dramatic passes, isolated farmsteads, classic whitewashed examples of Cape Dutch architecture, can be glimpsed through manicured rows of green and russet vines that transform the slopes into an eye-catching patchwork.
Places to visit in the Winelands
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Winelands, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Winelands
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Winelands, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Winelands
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Winelands
- Franschhoek The Winelands
- Paarl The Winelands
- Stellenbosch The Winelands
- Cape Town 33 miles away
- Constantia 35 miles away
- Hermanus 43 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 44 miles away
- The Whale Coast 44 miles away
- De Kelders 55 miles away
- The Overberg 64 miles away
- Montagu 66 miles away
- Langebaan 76 miles away
- Swellendam 85 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 91 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 93 miles away
- Paternoster 95 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 99 miles away
- Calitzdorp 158 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 187 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 189 miles away
- Wilderness 207 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 227 miles away
- Knysna 234 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 252 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 273 miles away
- Namaqualand 299 miles away
Accommodation choices for the Winelands
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Winelands. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.