Visit Montagu, South Africa
In a wine growing area, Montagu is best known for its springs, and was a popular Victorian spa resort: as a result the pleasingly compact town is dotted with red-roofed Victorian houses and pretty white churches.
Montagu, South Africa
Montagu is in the Breede River Valley, where some of the finest Winelands scenery can be found - it is in this area that many of the classic images of white-washed farm houses against dramatic mountain backdrops are taken.
The mountains around Montagu draw serious mountaineers - sheer cliffs that frame the town pose a stern challenge for the most accomplished climbers.
The town itself is best known for its springs, and was a popular Victorian spa resort: as a result the pleasingly compact town is dotted with red-roofed Victorian houses and pretty white churches.
For those arriving from, or leaving towards the Garden Route, Montagu sits astride the R62, the scenic road that leads to Oudtshoorn and from there onto the Garden Route.
Map of Montagu
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Montagu
- Sanbona Game Reserve 25 miles away
- Swellendam 25 miles away
- The Overberg 47 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 51 miles away
- Franschhoek 59 miles away
- The Winelands 66 miles away
- Hermanus 67 miles away
- Paarl 68 miles away
- The Whale Coast 69 miles away
- De Kelders 70 miles away
- Stellenbosch 74 miles away
- Calitzdorp 92 miles away
- Cape Town 99 miles away
- Constantia 100 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 104 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 107 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 121 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 124 miles away
- Langebaan 131 miles away
- Wilderness 142 miles away
- Paternoster 146 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 161 miles away
- Knysna 169 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 187 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 208 miles away