Paarl nestles in a valley between dramatic mountains, and enjoys a unique place in South African history, as it is the spiritual home of the Afrikaans language.
A monument to the language crowns one of the summits above Paarl, and provides superb views over the Winelands and toward Table Mountain.
Historic town centre
The historic heart of the town boasts pretty buildings and the residential streets become roads which wend their way up the mountain slopes through beautiful vineyards.
Map of Paarl
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Paarl
- The Winelands 8 miles away
- Franschhoek 16 miles away
- Stellenbosch 16 miles away
- Cape Town 34 miles away
- Constantia 38 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 48 miles away
- Hermanus 50 miles away
- The Whale Coast 51 miles away
- De Kelders 62 miles away
- Montagu 68 miles away
- The Overberg 69 miles away
- Langebaan 70 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 86 miles away
- Swellendam 88 miles away
- Paternoster 90 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 92 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 103 miles away
- Calitzdorp 158 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 187 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 189 miles away
- Wilderness 209 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 228 miles away
- Knysna 236 miles away
- Plettenberg Bay 254 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 275 miles away
- Namaqualand 291 miles away
Photos of Paarl
Accommodation choices for Paarl
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Paarl. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Grande Roche is without doubt the best hotel in Paarl, and possibly in the whole Winelands. Discretion, attentive service, and luxurious accommodation are assured, and the location is ideal.
Babylonstoren is one of the best preserved farms of the Cape Dutch tradition. The manor house dates from 1777 and some of the structures date back to the founding of the farm in 1692.