Visit Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
Plettenberg Bay, towards the eastern end of the Garden Route, is a playground for South Africa’s wealthy holidaymakers. There are many activities available as well as lots of great restaurants.
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
Plettenberg Bay spreads across the hills, overlooking the bay of the same name, and steep streets lead down to cliffs with spectacular views: whales (in season) and dolphins cruise the waters between white sandy beaches and the plunging cliffs of the Tsitsikamma Mountains.
The town extends down on to the beaches that stretch away in both directions. South lies the Robberg Peninsula, a headland of steep cliffs and rocky shores protected by a reserve, while to the north, you will find Keurbooms Beach, sheltering a lagoon formed by the Keurbooms River.
For a bite to eat at lunch, it is worth trying Enrico’s restaurant on Keurbooms Beach, which serves excellent seafood. If you are looking for something a little closer, then the Lemon Tree is also worth a visit (although mainly for its wonderful views), or the Lookout which, as its name suggests, is right on the water’s edge.
For a special meal, then why not book a table at Emily’s, which is about five minutes’ drive outside Plettenberg Bay, or Zinzi, which is nine kilometres from Plettenberg Bay in the direction of Knysna (it is part of Hunter’s Country House). You can also head over to Knysna for some fresh oysters at 20 Degrees South or the Oyster Catcher.
Some of these restaurants will need to be booked in advance, so please let us know if you need us to do this for you.
Suggested itineraries featuring Plettenberg Bay
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Plettenberg Bay, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Plettenberg Bay
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Plettenberg Bay
- Knysna 18 miles away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 23 miles away
- Wilderness 46 miles away
- The Klein Karoo 52 miles away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 74 miles away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 80 miles away
- Calitzdorp 103 miles away
- Port Elizabeth 128 miles away
- Addo Elephant National Park 144 miles away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 161 miles away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 163 miles away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 163 miles away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 163 miles away
- Swellendam 168 miles away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 174 miles away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 180 miles away
- Montagu 187 miles away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 195 miles away
- The Overberg 204 miles away
- De Kelders 232 miles away
- Hermanus 237 miles away
- The Whale Coast 238 miles away
- Franschhoek 244 miles away
- The Winelands 252 miles away
- Paarl 254 miles away
- Stellenbosch 259 miles away
- The Cederberg Mountains 268 miles away
- East London 273 miles away
- Constantia 284 miles away
- The Cape Peninsula 284 miles away
- Cape Town 284 miles away
Accommodation choices for Plettenberg Bay
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Plettenberg Bay. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Plettenberg Bay
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Plettenberg Bay, and which use the best local guides.