Visit the Overberg, South Africa
The Overberg, South Africa
We love the Overberg and encourage as many people as possible to visit the beautiful coastal reserve of De Hoop when in the area.
With grassy dunes leading down onto a white sand beach it is a photographer's dream. With luck you'll also catch sight of all manner of wildlife: antelope, birds, ostriches and whales all frequent the reserve.
Driving in the back roads of the Overberg is a real pleasure, with the scenery varying from remote and coastal through to the dramatic mountains that surround Montagu.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Overberg
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Overberg, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Overberg
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Overberg
- De Hoop Nature Reserve The Overberg
- Swellendam The Overberg
- De Kelders 47 kilometers away
- Hermanus 55 kilometers away
- The Whale Coast 57 kilometers away
- Montagu 76 kilometers away
- Franschhoek 87 kilometers away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 99 kilometers away
- The Winelands 102 kilometers away
- Stellenbosch 105 kilometers away
- Paarl 111 kilometers away
- The Cape Peninsula 132 kilometers away
- Constantia 138 kilometers away
- Cape Town 142 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 198 kilometers away
- Langebaan 223 kilometers away
- The Cederberg Mountains 224 kilometers away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 237 kilometers away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 248 kilometers away
- Paternoster 255 kilometers away
- Wilderness 257 kilometers away
- Knysna 299 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 303 kilometers away
- Plettenberg Bay 327 kilometers away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 363 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Overberg
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Overberg. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Perched on the ocean’s edge in a green fynbos landscape, this boutique hotel has just five suites that offer some of the best whale watching in the world.
Whether you're in a suite or a cottage, staying here allows you to explore ocean vistas, dunes, lakes, unique fynbos plants and a variety of wildlife, with the Potberg Mountains as a backdrop.
Rothman Manor combines Dutch colonial elegance with modern comfort, enjoying a beautiful setting in convenient location between Cape Town and George.
Augusta de Mist is a lovely, peaceful retreat and an ideal stopover on your way to or from the Garden Route, or for exploring the Overberg region.