Lake Bunyonyi is believed to be more than eight thousand years old and lies in a deep valley between Kisoro and Kabale.
There are more than twenty small islands sprinkled across the lake, and steep terraced hills rise from the shores. It is scenically a very beautiful place to spend a day or two.
Bunyonyi means 'place of small birds' giving tribute to the varied birdlife that lives along the shores and on the small islands of the lake itself. Visitors can enjoy canoeing, mountain-biking, hiking or kayaking in the area. It is also a good base from which to meet the local Batwa pygmy communities.
Map of Lake Bunyonyi
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Bunyonyi
- Mgahinga National Park 33 kilometers away
- Bwindi Impenetrable Forest 40 kilometers away
- Ishasha 68 kilometers away
- Queen Elizabeth National Park 127 kilometers away
- Lake Mburo 135 kilometers away
- Semliki Wildlife Reserve 261 kilometers away
- Kibale Forest National Park 281 kilometers away
- Entebbe 321 kilometers away
- Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary 331 kilometers away
- Kampala 344 kilometers away
- Jinja 412 kilometers away
- Murchison Falls National Park 438 kilometers away