The smallest of Uganda’s National Parks, Mgahinga protects the Ugandan section of the Virunga Mountains.
The combination of volcanic lakes, terraced hillsides and volcanoes make this area one of the most dramatic and beautiful of East Africa. A large population of mountain gorillas live within the park for part of the year and are the main focus of activities.
Mountain gorillas of Mgahinga National Park
The highlight of any trip to Uganda is tracking the mountain gorilla. The greatest of the great apes, there are only about 800 left in the wild. The gorillas are found on the upper slopes and to reach them you will have to walk through dense, dripping vegetation. However, your first glimpse of a gorilla will never be forgotten.
There are two places in Uganda where the dark, intelligent eyes of a silverback can be found — the Mgahinga National Park and the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
Map of Mgahinga National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mgahinga National Park
- Lake Bunyonyi 33 kilometers away
- Bwindi Impenetrable Forest 37 kilometers away
- Ishasha 69 kilometers away
- Queen Elizabeth National Park 140 kilometers away
- Lake Mburo 166 kilometers away
- Semliki Wildlife Reserve 272 kilometers away
- Kibale Forest National Park 302 kilometers away
- Entebbe 352 kilometers away
- Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary 364 kilometers away
- Kampala 377 kilometers away
- Jinja 444 kilometers away
- Murchison Falls National Park 462 kilometers away