Visit Mgahinga National Park, Uganda
The smallest of Uganda’s National Parks, Mgahinga protects the Ugandan section of the Virunga Mountains.
The combination of volcanic lakes, terraced hillsides and volcanoes make this area one of the most dramatic and beautiful of East Africa. A large population of mountain gorillas live within the park for part of the year and are the main focus of activities.
Mountain gorillas of Mgahinga National Park
The highlight of any trip to Uganda is tracking the mountain gorilla. The greatest of the great apes, there are only about 800 left in the wild. The gorillas are found on the upper slopes and to reach them you will have to walk through dense, dripping vegetation. However, your first glimpse of a gorilla will never be forgotten.
There are two places in Uganda where the dark, intelligent eyes of a silverback can be found - the Mgahinga National Park and the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
Map of Mgahinga National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mgahinga National Park
- Bwindi Impenetrable Forest 15 miles away
- Lake Bunyonyi 21 miles away
- Ishasha 42 miles away
- Queen Elizabeth National Park 87 miles away
- Lake Mburo 104 miles away
- Semliki Wildlife Reserve 172 miles away
- Kibale Forest National Park 188 miles away
- Entebbe 219 miles away
- Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary 226 miles away
- Kampala 233 miles away
- Jinja 276 miles away
- Murchison Falls National Park 285 miles away