Ngamba Island lies near to the Equator in Lake Victoria around 23 km from Entebbe.
The island comprises 100 acres of rainforest supporting a rich diversity of natural wildlife. There are over 120 species of birds as well as hippos, crocodile and monitor lizards.
The main focus however, is as a sanctuary for orphaned chimpanzees that have been rescued by the Uganda Wildlife Authority from poachers and traders. These orphaned chimpanzees have no chance of survival if they were released back into the wild, so the Chimpanzee Sanctuary was established in October 1998 as a non-profit organization to care for and protect these chimpanzees in a natural environment.
Map of Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
- Entebbe 28 kilometers away
- Kampala 48 kilometers away
- Jinja 85 kilometers away
- Lake Mburo 200 kilometers away
- Kibale Forest National Park 215 kilometers away
- Semliki Wildlife Reserve 271 kilometers away
- Murchison Falls National Park 292 kilometers away
- Queen Elizabeth National Park 294 kilometers away
- Lake Bunyonyi 331 kilometers away
- Ishasha 344 kilometers away
- Bwindi Impenetrable Forest 360 kilometers away
- Mgahinga National Park 364 kilometers away
Photos of Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
Accommodation choices for Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.