Ngamba Island lies near to the equator in Lake Victoria around 23km from Entebbe.
The island comprises 100 acres of rainforest supporting a rich diversity of natural wildlife. There are over 120 species of birds as well as hippos, crocodile and monitor lizards.
The main focus however, is as a sanctuary for orphaned chimpanzees that have been rescued by the Uganda Wildlife Authority from poachers and traders. These orphaned chimpanzees have no chance of survival if they were released back into the wild, so the Chimpanzee Sanctuary was established in October 1998 as a non-profit organisation to care for and protect these chimpanzees in a natural environment.
Map of Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
- Entebbe 17 miles away
- Kampala 30 miles away
- Jinja 53 miles away
- Lake Mburo 124 miles away
- Kibale Forest National Park 133 miles away
- Semliki Wildlife Reserve 169 miles away
- Murchison Falls National Park 182 miles away
- Queen Elizabeth National Park 183 miles away
- Lake Bunyonyi 206 miles away
- Ishasha 214 miles away
- Bwindi Impenetrable Forest 224 miles away
- Mgahinga National Park 226 miles away
Accommodation choices for Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.