Located in western Uganda, this park is named after the Murchison Falls.
It is where the wide and placid Nile is suddenly forced through a narrow cleft in the Rift Valley escarpment producing a torrent of white water.
To the north of the river is tall green grassland interrupted by patches of borassus palm, acacia and riverine woodland. To the south the vegetation becomes thicker with dense woodland and a beautiful area of closed canopy forest on Budongo Hill.
Wildlife of Murchison Falls
After the poaching ceased in the 1980s the animal population increased rapidly and sightings of lion, elephant, hippo, waterbuck, leopard and hyena are now common. The birdlife is extraordinary, with over 460 species recorded in the park including numerous raptors and the shoebill stork.
Suggested itineraries featuring Murchison Falls National Park
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Murchison Falls National Park, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Murchison Falls National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Murchison Falls National Park
- Kibale Forest National Park 161 kilometers away
- Semliki Wildlife Reserve 207 kilometers away
- Kampala 234 kilometers away
- Entebbe 256 kilometers away
- Jinja 260 kilometers away
- Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary 280 kilometers away
- Queen Elizabeth National Park 327 kilometers away
- Lake Mburo 330 kilometers away
- Ishasha 405 kilometers away
- Bwindi Impenetrable Forest 429 kilometers away
- Lake Bunyonyi 441 kilometers away
- Mgahinga National Park 462 kilometers away
Photos of Murchison Falls National Park
Accommodation choices for Murchison Falls National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Murchison Falls National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.